Monday 22 November 2010

Leeds CyclePoint

After having a bit of a moan in my previous post about a lack of joined up thinking on transport strategy in Leeds, I was happy to see the opening of Cyclepoint, located immediately opposite the main entrance to Leeds Train Station, a few months ago.

The idea of CyclePoint is to provide a manned, secure premises to store bikes, that also has retail, repair and rental facilities as well. The facility is located right at the point that it is needed, i.e. at the train station, so that people can catch the train into the city centre and then use a bike for the next part of their journey.

CyclePoint is a well established concept in other countries in Europe, particularly Holland, and I think is a great idea. If I was located at our sister serviced office, The Tannery, on Kirkstall Road, I would be faced with the choice of driving in my car or catching the train into Leeds and making my way back out onto Kirkstall Road. The distance from the train station is not great, only about a mile, and it takes about 15 minutes to walk, but I would be more than happy to have a bike stored at Cyclepoint and cycle which would take around 5 minutes. It is not far enough to build up a sweat, or warrant donning cycling gear and is a great way of getting around quickly.

I'm not saying that I would do this every day, the Yorkshire weather would make that impossible, but the fact that CyclePoint exists and is handy and relatively cheap (storage ranges from just over 30p per day for an annual ticket to £1 per day for a "one off") means that I would use it.

The additional benefit of having an established retailer run the show (CyclePoint is run in partnership with Evans Cycles) means that if one needs a quick repair, or to buy a new inner tube, or just a bit of advice, it is all available on site.

I hope that CyclePoint proves to be a success. The theory is good and the building looks great after it's refurbishment. My worry is that the weather during the winter months and concerns about cycling through a city centre that is busy with traffic will put people off.

No comments:

Post a Comment